Dear Comrades! The Department of Posts has unilaterally and in violation of the Strike Agreement with the Postal Joint Council of Action constituted an Officer headed GDS Committee. The demand that was agreed upon was to dismantle the proposal to set up officer headed committee. Now without even discussing with the Postal Federations, the Department had constituted such a Committee in the name of consusltations with the GDS Union. This is unacceptable to us. The Officer Committee has to be scrapped and a Commission headed by a Judge should be Constituted. The move of the Department of Posts would bring a major set back to the GDS interests. The NFPE and FNPO Federations have jointly called upon the postal workers to agitate. The following is the joint call:
POSTAL JOINT COUNCIL OF ACTION
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES
1st Floor, North Avenue Post Office Building, New Delhi - 110001
FEDERATION OF NATIONAL POSTAL ORGANISATIONS
T-24, Atul Grove Road , New Delhi – 110001
No. PF-12 (c) / Postal JCA/2007 Dated 27th July, 2007
1. All General Secretaries of NFPE & FNPO
2. All Office Bearers of NFPE & FNPO
3. All Circle Secretaries of NFPE & FNPO
4. All Branch / Divisional Secretaries of NFPE & FNPO
through respective Circle Secretaries
Dear Comrades and Friends .
VIOLATION OF INDEFINITE POSTAL STRIKE
SETTLEMENT OF APRIL, 2007
We recall your attention to the assurances and settlements made by the Secretary Department of Posts on the ten point charter of demands of Postal Employees, for which an indefinite strike notice was served to commence the strike from 24th April, 2007.
The Secretary Posts held discussions with the JCA on 19th and 20th April 2007 on ten point charter of demands.
On the setting up of Judicial Commission for GDS we stood firm on the demand. Secretary Posts sought second option on it. The staff side proposed for inclusion of GDS in the preview of 6 th CPC. They agreed to pursue the matter with the Govt. for inclusion of GDS into the 6th CPC. If they turned down the inclusion in CPC setting up of Judicial Commission the only option left was the stand. All other demands in the Charter was also satisfactorily addressed. The JCA reviewed the assurances and settlements and unanimously decided to defer the indefinite strike.
The Department of Posts has now set up GDS Committee with a retired officer of the Dept. of Posts. Contrary to the agreement reached with the staff side during 1993 Strike Shri R.S Nataraja Murti , Retired Member Post has been appointed as Chairman GDS Committee.
A unilateral action of the Dept. of Posts violating the agreements has to be strongly protested. The Dept. did not discuss the matter with the Federations. We were told that the ED Unions have been consulted in this regard.
The National Postal Joint Council of action has decided to organize following action programme through out the country demanding implementation of strike demands:
Hold protest demonstration jointly at all work places and
send Telegram/Savingram To,
1. Hon'ble Minister(C) & IT
Govt. of India ,
2 Shri IMG Khan
Department of Posts
New Delhi 110001
Text of Telegram / Savingram
We strongly protest against setting up of GDS Committee headed by Retired Officer of Dept of Posts instead of Judicial Commission / 6 th CPC as demand by the staff side .Implement all other demands in charter.
8th August , 2007
Hold Dharna before office of the Divisional Heads /Regional PMGs and CPMGs .
Further course of action would be chalked out by the JCA which will be convened very soon.
With Fraternal greetings.
(Des Raj Sharma) (D.Theagarajan)
Offg. Secretary General Secretary General
will provide posts and staff mentioned at Sl. No. 3 to 7.
No. 6-1/2006-PE.II --- The question of examining the conditions of service and emoluments and other facilities available to the Gramin Dak Sevaks has been under the consideration of the Government of India for some time. The Government has now decided to set up a one-man committee for the purpose.
2. Shri R.S. Nataraja Murti, Retired Member of the Postal Services Board will constitute the Committee.
3. The Committee will go into the service conditions of Gramin Dak Sevaks and suggest changes as considered necessary. The terms of reference of the Committee will, inter allia, include the following:-
(a) To examine the system of extra departmental post offices, conditions of employment, wage structure of the Gramin Dak Sevaks and recommend suitable changes considered necessary.
(b) To examine the reasonableness of introducing a social security scheme for providing provident fund and retirement benefits to Gramin Dak Sevaks.
(c) To examine and suggest any change in the method of recruitment, minimum qualifications for appointment as Gramin Dak Sevaks and conduct & disciplinary rules.
(d) To review the facilities provided to the public at different classes of extra departmental post offices.
(e) To examine desirability and need to sanction any interim relief till the time of recommendations of the Committee are made and accepted by the Government.
4. The committee will function for a period of one year, extendable at the discretion of the Government.
5. The Chairman of the Committee will be assisted by Shri A.K. Sharma, a Senior Administrative Grade Officer of the Department who will act as Secretary to the GDS Committee. Adequate staff support will be provided to the committee by the Department of Post. The committee will keep the 6th Central Pay Commission informed of the progress of its work from time to time.
6. The Committee will devise its own procedure and may call for such information an take such evidence, as considered necessary.
7. The headquarters of the Committee will be at New Delhi.
Sanction of the competent authority is accorded for setting up of the Secretariat of the proposed GDS Committee with the following establishment:
Sl. No. Name of Post No. of Post (s)*
1. Secretary, GDS Committee 1
2. Senior Time Scale / Junior Time Scale 1
3. Assistant Supdt Posts 2
4. Postal Assistant / LSG 3
5. Private Secretary 2
6. Group D 1
7. Chowkidar 1
2. Following posts are developed for GDS Committee:
(i) PMG Sambalpur as Secretary, GDS Committee.
(ii) ADG (Establishment) as ADG, GDS Committee.
3. The Secretariat of the Committee will be located at Malcha Marg PO Complex, Chankya Puri, New Delhi 110021. Necessary requirements for the Secretariat will be made in the usual manner by the CPMG, Delhi Circle with the approval of IFA of the Circle. Any correspondence in this regard may be made with the Secretary of the Committee.
4. The expenditure on the Secretariat would be made out of the Budget of the Delhi circle. If any additional funds are needed, that may be indicated in the RE 2007-08. The pay and allowances of the officers indicated at Sl. 1 & 2 above will be drawn and disbursed by the Postal Directorate till further orders.
5. The resolution for constitution of the Committee will be issued separately.
Secretary General NFPE