Sub: Revision of Syllabus for the LGOs for promotion to the cadre of Postal Assistants / Sorting Assistants- regarding.
D.G. Posts No. 56-4/2006-Trg dated 10.3.08.
This is regarding the revision of LGOs syllabus. Kind reference is invited to this office letter of even number dated 24.10.2007.
2. The case has been examined in detail. The assistance of Consultant has been taken for developing the syllabus for the Aptitude test. The revised syllabus for the LGOs Examination has been formulated and the same is given below:
Paper I –Essay, General English/General Hindi and Grammar
Paper III- test based on Postal Manuals and Guides
Paper I – Language –English
· Comprehension (with simple question and fill up the blanks –25 Marks
· Question of multiple choice in General to test the knowledge of English-50 Marks
· Translation of English passage into local language-25 Marks
Paper II- Arithmetic (basic) and Test Reasoning
· Simple Interest Calculation
· Test of Reasoning
Paper III- Departmental Rules
· Multiple Choice Questions –which will be circulated **
** This will be Online test. The candidates must know how to read the text (Question) on the computer screen and select the right answers by performing minimum operations in a key board like using Arrow Keys; Space Bar; Enter Key; Number or Alphabet Keys and the Mouse. (Necessary dummy trials will be given before the examination)
3. It may be added that we are looking forward to some more questions for the Question Bank.
4. Sample questions for Papers I & II are attached.
5. Please send us your views and suggestions. If no response is received in a month's time, will presume you have no objection to the new format.
Sample Questions for Paper I – Language
A. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follows:
Early rising is good for our health. It helps us to work hard. The morning air is cool & fresh. It is very useful for our lungs. It gives strength to our body. Early rising is a very good habit. It is very calm at that time. There is no noise. A student can read well. He can learn his lessons quickly. Therefore, every student should get up early.
1. Now answer the following questions:
a. Is early rising good for our health?
b. What is useful for our lungs?
c. Should a student get up early?
d. When can he learn his lessons quickly?
e. Give two benefits of early rising?
B. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions given below:
(in, on, from, at)
a. He knocked---------the door.
b. Shankar lived ---------a village.
c. The King gave people gifts --------his birthday.
d. Sachin was going -------Delhi.
e. You can earn a lot-------this piece of Iand.
C. Choose the correct answer:
i. The Sun rises in the
ii. Jasmine flower is
a. white colour
b. rose colour
c. yellow colour
d. red colour.
D. Please translate the following passage into Regional (Local language)
I am Suresh. I am working as Postman of "A" Head Post Office since 2.11.90. My hobby is " stamps collection". I am having an account in Philatelic Bureau at my Post Office. A philatelic account can be opened in any Philatelic Bureau with a minimum deposit of Rs. 200/-. Every month I am getting new Philatelic stamps/special cancellation covers from the Philatelic Bureau.
Sample Questions for Paper II – Arithmetic (basic) and Test of Reasoning
1. What is the original price of a cycle, if it is sold for Rs.550/- at a loss of
2. Find the principal that amounts to Rs. 9,261/- in three years at 5% p.a.?
3. A train traveling at 20 meters per second leaves Chennai at 7.30 A.M. When will it reach Ambur, a distance of 260 Km?
4. A car runs at a distance of 30 Km per hour. What distance does it cover in 2 hours 30 minutes?
5. Venkat sells a quintal of wheat for Rs. 924/- and earns a profit of 12%
. By selling a quintal of rice for the same amount, he loses 12%. Find
a. Cost price of wheat
b. Cost of rice
c. gain or loss percent on the whole transitions.
6. A group of students was given a special test. The test was completed the
by the various students in the following time (in minutes)
17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 36.
a. Find out the average time taken by the students to complete the test.
b. How many students took more than the average time to complete the test?
7. A person starts his job with a certain monthly salary and earns a fixed
increment every year. If his salary was Rs.4,500/- after 4 years of service,
find his initial salary and the annual increment.
8. List price of a scooter if Rs.35,000/- . It is available at a discount of 8% .
Find the selling price of the scooter.
B. Test of Reasoning:
1. What is next in this series?
AC CE EG GI -----
Ans: a) IJ b) MO c) IK d) IM
2. What is the missing number in this series?
3 6 …… 24
Ans: a) 8 b) 9 C) 12 d) 15
3. What are the missing alphabets in this series?
31 CA 25 BE 57 EG 46-------
Ans: a) CG b) DE C) GA d) DF
Secretary General NFPE