SUMMARY OF SIGNIFICANT EVENTS OF DOP FOR THE MONTH OF MAY-2012
The significant events pertaining to Department of Posts (DoP) for the month May, 2012 include disbursal of wages amounting to Rs. 933 crores to 5.62 crores MGNREGS account holders across the country except in Bihar, Haryana and M.P. Circles During April 2012.
2. The following stamps were issued in the month of May 2012 :
3. As part of IT project (Information Technology Project), the Department of Posts plans to provide a Postal Core Banking solution in major Post Offices for the Post Office Savings Bank Customers. A comprehensive overhaul of the remittance service delivery is also planned taking into account the changing customer preferences and expectations of improved service delivery. The vendor for the implementation of the above i.e. Financial Service Solution Integrator (FSI) has been selected and the Letter of Intent has been issued. The contract is under finalization and it is expected to be finalized in the month of June 2012.
4. Implementation Report on the recommendations of 15th Report of Standing Committee Communications & IT captioned ‘Modernisation of Post Offices has been laid on the Table of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabja on 16.05.2012 & 18.05.2012 respectively by Hon’bleMinister of State for Communications & IT along with a statement.
5. Till Apriil 30, 2012., 24969 departmental post offices have been computerized. This comprises 99.69% of all the departmental post offices in the country.
6. The Department has signed an agreement with BSNL for providing money remittance through mobile phones. BSNL has been provided with the requirements of DoP for development of the software. Initially a pilot of the service will run for a period of 6 months in Punjab, Bihar, Delhi and Kerala Circles. The rollout of the pilot is expected in August-September 2012.
7. Postal Joint Council of Action (PJCA) comprising National Federation of Postal Employees (NFPE) and Federation of National Postal Organization (FNPO) threatened to observe one day hunger fast on 21.5.2012 (from 10.00 AM to 05.00PM) in front of the Dak Bhawanas well as all CPMsG (Chief Post Masters General) Offices. The Department took all necessary measures against the proposed agitation. As a result of Department’s efforts, the PJCA was dissuaded from their agitation programme and resorted to attend a meeting taken by Secretary (P) on that date at 11 AM. The work continued smoothly and the agitation programme was called off.
8. An agreement was signed with a reputed consultancy firm (selected through a transparent tendering process) on 17.05.2012 to formulate recommendations on an appropriate business structure for the emerging and premium services of DoP.
9. MoU was signed with LBS Centre for Science and Technology, Thiruvanthapuram for sale of application of SET 2012(State Eligibility Test 2012) through Post Offices across Kerala.
10. Action for a tie –up with Kerala Medical Science Cooperation Ltd. initiated for supply of their medicines and equipments through logistics Post across Kerala.
(Release ID :85124)